About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 3 March 2012

The Korean Project

What? 3 posts in a day? Well, I did take 2 days off from posting, so I figured I needed to catch up.

Since my inclination to go for Koryo Korean was confirmed as a good idea by several of you, I've been doing a little bit of research - mainly finding suitable figure ranges in 15mm and trying to find books that would be helpful for painting the army up. Almost unbelievably, there are no Osprey books specifically on the Koreans of this period, but they are apparently shown in a few others. I've placed an order with Amazon for a couple of those. If anyone can think of books that might be helpful, please let me know in the comments.

I've also found a few posts on TMP with some information about uniforms etc, but they are mainly for the earlier 3 Kingdoms period and the late Yi period. However, there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between the two, so I would guess that uniforms in the Koryo period would be somewhere in between.

With regard to 15mm figures, again these are Yi or 3 Kingdoms periods and only a few manufacturers have Korean ranges. The Old Glory range look very nice, but they come in packs of mixed poses which could mean ordering more figures than I need to get uniform BGs. The range from Grumpy again look nice, seem aimed at the later Yi period (possibly going into Choson period), but have figures that would be useful if I progress to FoG:R - Koreans vs 1715 Highlanders anyone? *lol*

The Alain Touller figures are beautiful, but there isn't much variety of poses (not a significant problem). The Falcon ranges (3 Kingdoms and Yi) have a good reputation, but I haven't been able to find any pictures. There's a similar problem with the Naismith range having no pictures.

I might need to substitute figures from other nations - Khitan, Liao, T'Ang or Sung Chinese, maybe Mongols - to complete the army when I build it.

In terms of what figures to get, I'll probably go initially for the 800pt list on Madaxeman, maybe with some additional medium foot to give flexibility (the list is quite cavalry-heavy).

2 comments:

  1. This. This is what I meant by a CRAZY number of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying and failing to find anyone who does 6mm Koreans to fight my 6mm Japanese.

    ReplyDelete